The answer is both yes and no. You do not absolutely need a real estate agent to sell your house, but it is good to have one. In this day and age, you can easily list your house online and sell it yourself, but you might be able to get better terms and mire profit if you use the services of seller’s agent.
Why? Because they are trained to do this job and know every nitty gritty of the situation any home seller might be in.
First, lets talk about why it might be beneficial to sell your house yourself. The sale of any property when done with help of an agent can mean a commission. That means you will have to pay them money for their services. Usually real estate agents charge 3 to 6 percent of the selling price of the house a s commission. Selling house without the help of agent can actually help you save thousands of dollars.
However, this does not mean that you would not have any cost of selling your home. You will still have to pay the advertising costs, though they will be lesser than what you might have to pay a real estate agent.
Selling with help of an agent can be beneficial in many ways, including:
- The agent will negotiate on your behalf
- They will have access to a large pool of potential buyers
- They can help you understand the terms of sale easily
- They can help you prepare for a sale
- They will help you get a fair price for your property based on the its market value
If you sell your house yourself, it will mean committing huge amount of time and effort to this task. You will have to organize all the advertising, listings, and showings of the house yourself. While showing the house to potential buyers, some people might not be comfortable and might not be open to asking questions or sharing their hesitations. This can mean a sale might not happen. It can also mean that you might not get as high a selling price that you might get with a seller’s agent help.
All this does not mean that you cannot sell your house yourself. If you are determined to sell your house without the help of an agent. Here are some things you will have to do:
- Research the internet and make a list of all the things you have to do and might need for the sale
- Check out the competition. This means you should see how well and at how much price houses in your areas are selling
- With help of your research, set a list price for your property
- Stage your house and take pictures and videos of the house
- List your house online on the website of your choosing
- Be available for contact by potential buyers
- Hire a good attorney that can handle legal aspects of the sale
- Find the right offer even if you have to wait a little and then close the listing once you find it
- Sign the documents and you are done